How to Acquire New Patients
4 step process used by top medical practices is outlined. Costs $599/mon with no long contracts. Whether you have a dental practice, surgeon, primary care or any other healthcare practice, these strategies apply to you. Applies to Telemedicine Physicians, Surgeons, Pediatrics, MedSpas, Pain Management, Functional Medicine, Primary & Urgent Care, Cardiologists, Podiatrists, Addiction Medicine, Regenerative, Wellness, Therapy, OBGYN, Integrative Medicine, Dentists, Dermatologists, IVF & Reproductive, Pharma, Bio-Tech & Many Other Medical Practices.
There are 3 prerequisites before you launch on your journey to acquire new patients for your medical practice.
1. You must focus on providing high quality patient care, and genuine focus on high patient satisfaction.
2. Understand there is no “quick solution” – and that anything that is going to produce long term success, is not simple and easy. It will cost time and money. Basically there is no free lunch in the business world.
3. You must have an excellent website, the website must be intelligent and focused on conversion.
Question: Where do new patients come from?
Top sources of new patients: (Online)
1. Google PPC ads (immediate results – costs money and is complex)
2. Google Organic SEO (takes time to establish – costs money and time and is complex, but produces the best ROI for your marketing dollars)
3. Google Local SEO (depends on your presence on directories like 1. Google Business Page 2. Facebook Business Page 3. Yelp Business Page. 4. Other)
4. Facebook ads (immediate results – costs money)
5. Instagram ads (immediate results – costs money)
6. Online ads on related sites (for example HealthGrades, Psychology Today)
Top sources of new patients: (Offline)
1. Simple Human Touch. Simply speak with patients. Listen to them. Build relationships and your staff should make them feel welcomed in your practice. Technology and automation has it’s place but caring and empathy has no replacement.
2. Referral Marketing (slow results – costs time and effort and constant relationship building)
3. Networking (slow results – costs time and effort and constant relationship building)
The 4 Step Process:
Step 1. Getting patients to your website
This refers to advertising, SEO and social media activities to let potential patients know that you exist, and that you offer an important service for patients who are looking for your services. Google ads, medical SEO for your website are probably the most important 2 steps you can take. Without proper online advertising plan and robust medical SEO, it is simply hard to grow. This is a very good page that covers good medical advertisement examples.
Here the top marketing channels to get a potential patient to visit your website.
- Google advertising – primarily PPC ads for medical practices
- Facebook advertising – visual targeted ads help you acquire new patients (depending on your practice)
- Instagram advertising – visual targeted ads help you acquire new patients (depending on your practice)
- Google SEO – very effective, but it takes a lot of time, money and effort
- Google local SEO – Google promotes and ranks local businesses in maps and GMB listing – so it will take a very long time so show up higher in local SEO results
- Targeted ads and presence on certain websites. For example, if you offer mental health services, then displaying your ads on websites very specific to mental health will help you.
- Referral websites – For example, if you are a physician who offers pediatric urgent care services for children after normal business hours, you may want to partner with local pediatric and primary care doctors who are not open after normal business hours and weekends.
- Schools and other organizations. Everyday, thousands of children get hurt in schools. Many times it is sufficient to have a telemedicine session with a physician, rather than sending a child to a physician. Not every school has a “nurse” available.
Step 2. Conversion
Once a patient lands on your website, then the website has to do the selling. Many doctors and practice managers naively believe that once a patient lands on your website, they will automatically take an action to contact you. In real life it does not work like this. Only a percentage of the patients who visit your website, will actually request a an appointment, telemedicine session, or call you. Fewer will pay you. An even fewer will show up, even with pre-paying you and even with “confirming” the session. It is a human (patient) behaviour.
9 Examples of a patient conversion on your healthcare website:
- Patient calling you from the phone number listed on the website
- Patient requesting an appointment from the website
- Patient registering for the patient-portal account
- Patient starting a ChatBot session from the website site
- Patient sending a Text/SMS from the website texting app for a 2-Way texting session
- Patient clicking on “Directions” app (for an urgent care or a walk in clinic)
- Patient filling out patient registration form on the website
- Patient signs up for your monthly newsletter
- Patient redeems a promotion from the promotions app
Best conversion medical websites are based on A/B tested software and algorithms. It is tiresome and expensive to create a high conversion website for doctors. Best conversion medical websites have these qualities:
- Intelligence – this refers to conversion intelligent apps on your website to cause the person to take an action. One example is HIPAA compliant medical chatbot.
- Content – The content of your medical website should promote three main areas 1. Your medical practice 2. Your patient services 3. Your providers, doctors and staff. Content should be written as you are speaking to the patient. Focus of the content should be to provide useful information for a patient AND it should also mention and softly “sell” benefits.
- Layout – and structure of the website should be designed with A/B tested layout and design. If you have a pretty website and you are not getting good leads, it could lack of A/B tested design.
- Allow patient to select a time for the telehealth session. Appointment app is a good option.
- Allow patient to fill out the paperwork online (digital intake forms), upload insurance card etc.
- Allow patient to make a payment online using online payment app.
Step 3. Delivering the service to the patient
As a medical provider or a practice manager, this is your responsibility.
Step 4. Patient Engagement, reputation management & measuring your success
After delivering the service, you would still need to to few more steps:
1. Send a patient survey. (Healthcare Survey App)
2. Send a review request. (Reputation Management App)
3. Send a thank you Email. (Thank You App)
4. Patient is added to the monthly Email marketing campaign
5. PatientGain’s CRM can be integrated with your EMR/EHR/PM system
6. Patient is added to the referral request campaign.
Setup Initial Meeting With PatientGain
Impact of Online Advertising for Physicians & Dentists
In this example, based on a medical marketing dashboard below for an actual customer of PatientGain. This figure below shows the impact of Online Advertising for a Medical Practice. Specifically Google Adwords, PPC Advertising and Facebook ads for doctors. You can see the spike in calls. This is due to launching an aggressive PPC Advertising and Facebook ads.
October - Website launched. Customer starts with PatientGain GOLD solution. Current patient count is 24 patients per day. Customer is doing monthly print advertising, also has a long term contract with a local advertising company that promotes the practice on display ads on local buses in the community.
November - First month data - 362 phone calls tracked. All 20 apps are enabled. Including SEO and Local SEO for this customer.
January - 440 Phone calls - SEO has started to improve. Medical SEO takes time. Read more here.
July - 488 Phone calls - Current patient count is 31 patients per day.
October - 524 Phone calls - SEO has further improved - Most of the important search terms are on position 1, 2 and 3.
Averaging approx 500 calls a month, with average patient per day is 33-34 patients per day. 3 new competitors have opened within 12 mile radius. An aggressive online advertising campaign is launched. 70 percent of the budget is allocated on Google PPC for specific keywords. 15 percent of the budget is allocated on Facebook ads and 15 percent of the budget is allocated to Re-marketing campaign.
November - Online marketing campaign launched. 888 Phone calls tracked - Current patient count is 35 patients per day. All top conversion based 10 keywords are on position 1, 2 and 3 for organic SEO.
December - 999 Phone calls - Current patient count is averaging 40-44 patients per day.
Summary: Online Advertising for Physicians Works
Please note that we consistently see very good medical marketing SEO and online advertising results, however every clinic location is different, your services and competition is different, and ofcourse patient demographics are different, so your mileage will vary. To read more about
Medical Marketing ROI (Return On Investment) for Healthcare Medical Practices From USA and Canada, please go here.
Fuel of your medical marketing is the content of your website. If your content and potential patient's search aligns, you would have found the secret sauce.
Your content is the single most important factor in your online success. 8 reasons why content is important.
1. Content defines your healthcare practice's brand.
2. Content expresses who you are, how you conduct your business.
3. Content is read by the Search Engines - and this results in GOOD or POOR rankings - You should NEVER copy content from another site. Checking ideas from other websites is OK, but copying content is like shooting yourself in the foot.
4. Content can make your marketing flourish.
5. Content can make your advertising irresistible.
6. Social media loves GOOD content.
7. Email marketing with good quality content will give you higher open-rates.
8. Best of all - Patients LOVE Useful content.
PatientGain.com is a proven healthcare marketing solution, includes apps, websites, SEO, HIPAA compliance and account management.
To learn about How does healthcare marketing work?
To learn about What is the Foundation of Medical SEO (Search Engine Optimization) for Doctors
To learn about How SEO Works For Healthcare Websites, this is a good starting page.
To learn about Short-cut SEO for Medical Practices, this is a good starting page.
To learn about Pricing and cost of SEO services for medical practices, this is a good starting page.
To learn about How Much Do Doctors Spend On Advertising?
To learn about Medical SEO Voice Search Optimization For Doctors (BERT)
To learn about Local Medical SEO For Doctors
To learn about Mobile SEO For Medical Websites
To learn about Zero-Click SEO for Doctors
To learn about Benefits Of Medical SEO Marketing
To learn about Key Items For SEO Evaluation of Medical Websites
To learn about Avoid Risky Plans – Use Proven Medical Marketing Strategies
To learn about Medical Marketing Using Emotionally Compelling Offline Media
To learn about Pre Launch Medical Marketing Checklist for Doctors
To learn about Medical SEO vs. Medical Advertising – Which One Is Better?
To learn about Is Your Medical Website Design “Future Proof”?
To learn about Medical Website Conversion Strategies
To learn about Medical Website Content Marketing Strategy
To learn about How to Acquire New Patients for Your Medical Practice
To learn about Medical Website Applications
To learn about What is Technical Medical SEO?
To learn about How to Attract New Patients to Your Dental Practice
To learn about Dental SEO Examples
To learn about What is Medical Marketing Account Management?
The GOLD service from PatientGain is used by telemedicine physicians, dentists, surgeons, pediatrics, medical spas, pain management, functional medicine, primary & urgent care, cardiologists, podiatrists, addiction medicine, regenerative, wellness, therapy, OBGYN, integrative medicine, dentists, dermatologists, IVF & reproductive, pharma, bio-tech & many other medical practices.