How To Promote Your Medical Practice – 8 Key Steps
Running any healthcare practice takes long hours and a multi-disciplinary approach. Running a buoyant and profitable Medical Care Clinic adds a whole new promotional dynamic to the mix. You must use technology and automation to get best ROI (Return On Investment)
Competing for patients is an everyday reality in healthcare and accessing a solution that not only works but also has key facility integration assets not only makes sense, it’s essential given all the other priorities that are consuming your valuable time. There are 8 key strategies every practice should use.
Step 1. Get a Website – Ideally A Medical Marketing Website, Designed For Conversion and SEO
There is nothing more important than your website, your branding, your messaging and your online reputation. This is one area you should never skimp.
Step 2. Advertise Online – Follow 4 Pillars of Advertising
4 Pillars of online advertising for physicians – All 4 are important.
1. Local SEO – It is becoming increasingly important for your medical practice and clinic to show up on Google’s Search Results in the Top-Area after the Google Ads. There are hundreds of directories out there. But the three most important ones for you are 1. Google My Business Listing 2. Facebook Business Listing 3. Yelp Business Listing. Your potential and existing patients are very likely to find your medical clinic and practice on these 3 areas. Don’t pay extra for this service. It is included in GOLD service. See More Details
2. Organic SEO – Content based, long term SEO is very important for your success. It is becoming more difficult and important for your medical practice and clinic to show up on Google’s Search Results in the Top-Organic after the Google Ads. There are 9 Key Factors for high Organic SEO Rankings. Your potential and existing patients are searching for type of a practice and SERVICES you offer. Don’t pay extra for this service. It is included in GOLD service. See More Details
3. Google Advertising – All online medical advertising campaigns are NOT CREATED the same. Our campaigns have been optimized for the unique needs and business practices of the Healthcare Industry. Caffeinated Search, PayPerClick (PPC), Reviews Marketing, Facebook & Instagram, and Re-Marketing advertising campaigns all managed by AdWords Certified staff. PatientGain.com provides transparent pricing with no hidden advertising costs or fees. Start seeing results immediately. According to Google Premier Partner program, PatientGain.com campaigns perform 32% better than other companies. Don’t pay extra $300 to $1000 or more per month for this service. See More Details
4. Facebook Advertising – Thousands of medical clinics struggle every day to fill their calendars. Facebook advertising & marketing can be an effective approach for many medical practices. Let us walk you through 5 marketing strategies that work. These techniques and strategies have been proven to work for hundreds of clinics like yours. Your online success will depend on many factors, but among them is working with company who is focused on Medical Marketing, has deep Online Marketing experience, is an expert in Social Media and Patient Behavior Marketing, and of course is HIPAA Compliant and can issue you a BAA ( Business Associate Agreement).
Step 3. Social Media Presence and Engagement
There are hundreds of social media sites. The most important for physicians and healthcare providers are:
1. Facebook – Majority of your patients are here
2. Instagram – Some of your patients are here also
3. Google Posting – New product from Google – Excellent source to acquire new patients
4. Other secondary social media sites
5 Reasons Why Google Posts Increase Your SEO and Patient Acquisition
1. Your healthcare medical service is highlighted as a part of your search result on Google.
2. Content created for your medical specialty based on your services, is visible in addition to your SEO results.
3. Patients look at your post which has been localized for EACH location and EACH Call-To-Action (CTA).
4. Google Post Content has a clear Call-To-Action (CTA) to one of the following: 1) Book 2) Order 3) Shop 4) Learn More 5) Sign Up 6) Get Offer – This is very powerful and leads direct conversion. Facebook Posts are focused on Patient Engagement – whereas Google Posts are focused on direct ROI and direct action from a future or current patient.
5. Our data shows that Google posts contribute positively to SEO also. PatientGain highly recommends posting on Google Posts every day. Return On Investment (ROI) for healthcare medical practices is much higher who post useful, services based content on a regular basis.
Step 4. Reputation Management For Physicians and Medical Practices
Online Reputation Management can be a headache or a winning strategy for doctors & healthcare clinics. Only 28 percent of the time it is patient-physician related. There are 4 ways to acquire positive reviews from your patients.
4 Ways to Improve Online Reputation for Your Healthcare Practice
1. Email – 68% of your Emails are opened on a mobile device. Use Email medium to send the review request. Do not expect that every one who reads your Email will provide you a review. Your software must have intelligence built into the software.
2. SMS/Texting – Almost 96% of the SMS/Texts are delivered. But it does not mean they serve the purpose. Majority of your patients consider SMS/Texting as a personal communication, hence if you over-do this, you not likely to get good results and may be labeled as a spammer. So use with caution.
3. In-Lobby Apps – Using PatientGain’s app allows you to avoid the Duplicate-IP-Address issues.
4. Facebook App – Use the people who “Like” you on Facebook to provide you with positive reviews on Google, Yelp, Facebook or any other site.
Step 5. Email Marketing For Physicians and Medical Practices
Email Marketing is a vital for clinics and doctors, as it helps you promote your healthcare brand, engage with your patients, and even re-activate past patients. To run effective campaigns, your clinic needs to have a clean data, and a targeted list of patients that you’re marketing to.
Manually managing your contacts is a time consuming process, and many clinics simply don’t have the time needed to ensure that their campaigns are being sent to clean contact lists. PatientGain.com’s Automated Data Cleansing can help your clinic maintain a good reputation by automatically identifying and removing inaccurate or problematic contacts from your email campaigns.
Step 6. Use the EMR Connector to Extract Patient Information From Your EMR
Easily connect your EMR with PatientGain’s Medical Marketing platform. EMR connector is no-cost software with the GOLD Package. Business Associate Agreement (BAA) is included.
Your Patients Are Online. They Are on Facebook, Google, Mobile, Email, Blogs and Your Website! Use PatientGain.com’s Apps to Push Content to All Mediums.
Step 7. Take Advantage of Mobile Marketing Apps
Review of 162 online campaigns reveals that 65 to 88 percent of the patients are searching for medical services on a mobile device. Exactly the same test revealed that this number was 54 percent 12 months ago. PatientGain.com predicts that this number will be close to 90 percent in the next few years.
It is no secret that more and more users ( patients and clients ) of your medical clinic are using the mobile devices to find your clinic and once they are your customer, they use the same device to interact and engage with you. In fact somewhere between 65% to 88% of your potential and existing patients/clients are doing so.
Patient engagement and patient acquisition is moving to mobile. PatientGain.com’s platform is designed so that you can easily take advantage of this trend.
Step 8. Content is the King – Medical Marketing Using Content Wins
Medical Marketing Platform from PatientGain.com creates new content for your clinic to send out each month, sets up your campaigns, and automates your email and content marketing strategies.
Many doctors and clinic owners have trouble keeping their patients engaged with their clinics, and as a result they struggle with their patient retention. Clinics that utilize content marketing to keep in touch with patients are able to both increase the number of times that patients come to their clinic, and increase the long term value of that patient. Keeping in touch with your past patients, or prospective patients, normally requires a lot of time and effort in outreach from your staff, but with PatientGain.com your patient engagement has never been easier.
4 Important Components of a Advertising & Marketing Plan for Your Medical Practice & Clinic
Traditionally, marketing experts tell us that there are 4 key components of your Medical Marketing Plan.
- The Product or Service – This will be service offerings for your medical practice. For example, if you an Urgent Care clinic, do you offer service to patients based on 12 major categories. Examples will be Onsite X-ray, DOT Physical exams, Lab-test results, Ports Physicals, Simple Fracture treatment, Travel medicine, Immunizations etc. If you are MedSpa / Esthetic based practice, you may want to define your product/service strategy based on competition and availability of your staff’s credentials. For example, if you want to offer “CoolSculpting”, you will need to make an investment in purchasing this technology and then training of your staff. So each medical service you offer has a cost associated with it, and of course there could be tangible benefits for your medical practice. So your marketing plan must have a focus on which “services” you are going to offer. And each service deserves its SWOT analysis.
- The Price of the Service – In many cases, this is driven by the insurance company payouts to you. But there are certain procedures that are not covered by the insurance payments. There are additional strategies available to you here. Each patient can be divided into 3 main categories.
- PPO or Full Insurance – These insurance plans pay fixed amount for each procedure for in-network vs out-of-network procedures.
- Self-Pay Patients – Patient pays directly to the provider – you have leverage to provide better service than your competitors and charge more.
- High-Deductible plans – In this case, as an example, patients typically have to pay initial $4000-$10000 out of their pockets. After ta patient has spent these amounts on deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance, then the medical insurance plan pays 100% of the costs of covered benefits. Many patients consider that first $4000-$10000 as something that have to “shop” for prices, hence you have an opportunity to apply your own marketing strategy on how to attract these patients to your practice.
- The Place or Location of Service – For most parts, healthcare delivery system in USA and Canada is very local. Telemedicine can change this in the future, but for now patients typically go to a “local” provider. This is evidenced by 2000% plus increase in Google searches for “Urgent care near me” or “Sleep Apnea doctor near me” or hundreds of other variations based on mobile patients searching for services “near” a patient. So your Place or Location matters.
- The Promotion(marketing) or Advertising of Service – This is one area, where you have true leverage to dominate your medical field. Your medical plan must include the promotion of your service. There are generally 2 main sub-areas for promotion of medical services:
- Traditional Advertising & Promotions – Traditional marketing – includes newspapers, yellow pages, billboards, referrals from peers, networking with other providers and suppliers.
- Online Advertising & Promotions – This refers to digital marketing and digital advertising to acquire more patients and retain existing patient base. This area is exhaustive. It includes, Website, SEO, Social Media, Email Marketing and many other areas.
Impact of Medical Marketing on Physicians Earnings
Thousands of Physicians & Specialized Medical Practices struggle every day to fill their calendar with patients. Despite having a great location, a dedicated and professional medical staff, proper equipment, and hard earned certifications and qualifications, their daily patient counts aren’t where they’d like them to be. Many clinics don’t realize that what they are missing is online expertise and a sophisticated software solution to power their patient acquisition efforts. These days, your clinic’s strategy for generating new patients online has to be more than just having a good looking website. Review of 162 online campaigns reveals that 72 percent of the patients are searching for medical services on a mobile device. Exactly the same test revealed that this number was 54 percent 12 months ago. PatientGain.com predicts that this number will be close to 90 percent in the next few years. As a healthcare practitioner and a physician you are aware that average income of primary care physicians, while has increased in the last 6 years (possibly due to ObamaCare), and averaged $194,000 per year. But this should not be compared with "savvy" physicians, who are using online medical marketing software to increase the value of services they provide. For savvy physicians, these numbers are significantly higher. We wish you to be in the “savvy” category.
8 Reasons Why Content Is Important.
Your Content Is the Single Most Important Factor in Your Online Success.
1. Content defines your brand.
2. Content expresses who you are, how you conduct your business.
3. Content is read by the Search Engines - and this results in GOOD or POOR rankings - You should NEVER copy content from another site. Checking ideas from other websites is OK, but copying content is like shooting yourself in the foot.
4. Content can make your marketing flourish.
5. Content can make your advertising irresistible.
6. Social media loves GOOD content.
7. Email marketing with good quality content will give you higher open-rates.
8. Best of all - Patients LOVE Useful content.
Results From Online SEO For Primary Care Physician
Review of a real customer. Location is east coast – mid-level competition. Doctor Jones has been in practice for the last 13 years. Her focus has been Primary Care, Internal Medicine and general wellness with focus on Diabetic patients. However, since last 3 years, multiple clinics have opened within her 5 mile radius. In addition, two Urgent Care clinics have also impacted her business. In the past all she had to do was to advertise in local yellow pages, few referral practices and business had grown due to her excellent focus on patient care. Due to competition, her average patient count had steadily decreased from 30 patients a day to 22.
In this case, Doctor Jones had to focus on new patient acquisition. She search online for “online advertising for doctors” and found PatientGain.com as the first organic listing on Google. She signed up for PatientGain.com’s GOLD Service for $499/mon. The results have been as follows:
Nov 2016 – Go live with new website, along with 20 apps embedded in the new Medical Marketing website. 135 phone calls received in the first month. 116 unique phone calls.
Dec 2016 – 434 phone calls received in the 2nd month. 388 unique phone calls.
Jan 2017 – 621 phone calls received in the 3rd month. 534 unique phone calls.
Feb 2017 – 518 phone calls received in the 4th month. 419 unique phone calls.
Mar 2017 – 599 phone calls received in the 5th month. 450 unique phone calls.
Apr 2017 – 697 phone calls received in the 6th month. 541 unique phone calls.
May 2017 – 801 phone calls received in the 7th month. 643 unique phone calls.
By the end of 7th month, Doctor Jones had achieved her target of 30 patients per day. Mission accomplished.
PatientGain.com is a certified premier google partner for healthcare.
To learn about Website Strategies and Website Examples for Doctors & Medical Clinics, please go here.
To learn about Search Engine Optimization for Doctors & Medical Clinics, please go here.
To learn about Pay Per Click PPC Advertising for Doctors & Medical Clinics, please go here.
To learn about Content Marketing Strategies for Doctors & Medical Clinics, please go here.
To learn about GOLD Package Marketing for Doctors & Medical Clinics, please go here.