Top 10 Medical Marketing KPI’s – Key Performance Indicators
Many Practice Managers Often Confuse Medical Practice’s Objectives and Goals with Medical Marketing KPIs and Healthcare KPIs & Metrics
Goals and Objectives for your medical practice can be as follows: (these are examples)
- Increase daily patient count at location in Palo Alto California by 20 patients per day in the next 12 months
- Increase patient satisfaction by 30% at location in Palo Alto California in the next 12 months
- Reduce patient acquisition costs by 10% at location in Palo Alto California in the next 6 months
10 Most Important Medical Marketing KPIs
In order to achieve these goals, objectives or desired business results, the practice manager or medical director of a practice has to typically consider “how” to achieve these desired goals. Next step to select medical marketing software,medical marketing vendors, service providers and medical marketing consultants for these various tasks. Sometime the practice manager or medical director has enough resources like an internal staff who can oversee these initiatives and provide status to the practice manager or medical director. Once the practice manager or medical director has established a medical marketing strategy, he or she has to come up with KPIs to measure ongoing progress and success of each area.
Working with hundreds of healthcare providers, PatientGain.com has established that there are 10 key KPIs for your medical marketing strategy. These are built into you PatientGain.com’s Medical Marketing Dashboards.
Most Important KPIs. There are many – actually hundreds of ways to measure what happens online to promote your practice/clinic. Some of them are simply “noise”- We recommend the following list as a best practice. It has worked for hundreds of medical practices across the US and Canada.
- Actual Patient Count – no one will question you if your actual patient count increases
- Number of phone calls – 73 percent of patients still want to “call you”
- Appointment requests/inquiries – Using apps on Facebook and your mobile site allow patients to request an appointment
- Local SEO Rankings – Extremely important to optimize Google, Yelp and Facebook business pages
- Organic SEO Rankings – Identify your top 10 key words, and measure your performance. Then expand and go beyond the top 10.
- Online Advertising & PPC Data & Metrics. Capture GEO locations, demographic data for better targeting
- Engagement Data – Social Media – Facebook Posts
- Mobile Engagement Data
- Emails Marketing
- Non-Social Engagement
Your Patients Are Online. They Are on Facebook, Google, Mobile, Email, Blogs and Your Mobile Website! Use PatientGain.com’s Apps to Push Content to All Mediums.
Medical Marketing ROI Calculator & Examples
Example 1. Primary Care Physician with a Walk-In Clinic
Review of a real customer. Location is east coast – mid-level competition. Doctor Jones has been in practice for the last 13 years. Her focus has been Primary Care, Internal Medicine and general wellness with focus on Diabetic patients. However, since last 3 years, multiple clinics have opened within her 5 mile radius. In addition, two Urgent Care clinics have also impacted her business. In the past all she had to do was to advertise in local yellow pages, few referral practices and business had grown due to her excellent focus on patient care. Due to competition, her average patient count had steadily decreased from 30 patients a day to 22.
In this case, Doctor Jones had to focus on new patient acquisition. She search online for “online advertising for doctors” and found PatientGain.com as the first organic listing on Google. She signed up for PatientGain.com’s GOLD Service for $499/mon. The results have been as follows:
Nov 2016 – Go live with new website, along with 20 apps embedded in the new Medical Marketing website. 135 phone calls received in the first month. 116 unique phone calls.
Dec 2016 – 434 phone calls received in the 2nd month. 388 unique phone calls.
Jan 2017 – 621 phone calls received in the 3rd month. 534 unique phone calls.
Feb 2017 – 518 phone calls received in the 4th month. 419 unique phone calls.
Mar 2017 – 599 phone calls received in the 5th month. 450 unique phone calls.
Apr 2017 – 697 phone calls received in the 6th month. 541 unique phone calls.
May 2017 – 801 phone calls received in the 7th month. 643 unique phone calls.
By the end of 7th month, Doctor Jones had achieved her target of 30 patients per day. Mission accomplished.
8 Strategies That Work for Physician Marketing
- Awesome website – must be intelligent and focused on conversion. Intelligence means conversion tracking CRM for your website. 88 percent of the patients looking for medical services will contact you by calling you or simply finding you on a map. Medical chatbots are extremely important also. we see 6 percentage to 8 percentage increase in conversions by using intelligent medical chatbots on medical websites. Conversion apps that use geo or location based information and guide a patient to your medical practice, without sending the patient to a competitor, asl increase your conversions. Having a an accurate Google maps listing is very helpful. To read more about Conversion Websites for doctors, please click here.
- Google SEO Optimizations for specific keywords, like “Urgent Care OKC” – in this case a patient is looking for an Urgent Care in Oklahoma City. To read more about SEO for doctors please click here.
- Google Local Optimizations. To read more about LOCAL SEO for doctors please click here.
- Content of the website. To read more about Content Marketing for doctors please click here.
- PPC Advertising (specifically Google PPC). To read more about PPC for doctors please click here.
- Facebook Advertising. To read more about Facebook Advertising for doctors please click here.
- Monthly Email Marketing. To read more about Email Marketing for doctors please click here.
- Patient Reviews Marketing & Reputation Management – Minimize negative reviews, Maximize positive reviews. To read more about Reputation Management for doctors please click here.
6 Steps for Online Success For Clinics. Used By Telemedicine Physicians, Surgeons, Pediatrics, MedSpas, Pain Management, Functional Medicine, Primary & Urgent Care, Cardiologists, Podiatrists, Addiction Medicine, Regenerative, Wellness, Therapy, OBGYN, Integrative Medicine, Dentists, Dermatologists, IVF & Reproductive, Pharma, Bio-Tech & Many Other Medical Practices
Step No 1.
As medical practitioners, we have to realize that patient behavior is changing. Patients are now looking for medical services online. 88 percent of patients search online for medical services and clinic information. Even 47 percent of existing patients look for additional, related services online on your own website or your competitor’s websites. So you must be present on the Web. 60 percent to 72 percent of patients look for your services, check your online reviews, using a mobile device. Make sure that you have website that is focused on Mobile Marketing for doctors. Here are many examples of great ( and free Mobile, responsive and intelligent) websites. Once your medical practice is online, there are 5 additional important areas to cover.
Step No 2.
In US, approximately, 78 percent of the time, your patients are going to use Google search engine to look for medical related services, reviews and other information. So your first step is have a top notch Google presence. Other places are important also, like Facebook, Yahoo, Bing etc. But start with Google. There are 6 important aspects of Google presence.
- Google Local Listing for your medical practice
- Google Maps, verified listing
- Google Reviews rankings
- Google Posts
- Google Organic results
- Google Paid Search
Each of these should be addressed by your online strategy for your medical practice. Many doctors and practice managers think that having a nice looking website will suffice. Unfortunately it is no longer enough to have a nice website and a Facebook page.
Each of the above mentioned 6 important aspects of Google presence require attention to detail, time and commitment, not to mention financial investment.
Step No 3.
SEO or Search Engine Optimization for Doctors & Medical Practices can be defined in many ways. To provide you with a high level guidance, these 5 areas are most important:
A. Google Local Listing for your medical practice
- Create a Google account
- Add you clinic’s accurate information – Name, address are the most important information – Phone should be checked.
- If your practice’s information is incorrect, you will have correct it
- You may have to claim your listing also.
- In certain cases you may have duplicate listings, these should be resolved.
- There are dozens of other Local directories – They should be checked and updated. But Google, Facebook, Yelp, Yahoo/bing are the most important ones. Start with these.
B. Google Maps, verified listing
- Create a Google account
- Add you clinic’s accurate information in the Maps
- If your practice’s information is in correct, you will have correct it – sometime the Map Pin is Inaccurate
- You may have to claim your Map listing also.
- In certain cases you may have duplicate listings, these should be resolved.
- There are many of other map based directories – They should be checked and updated. But Google, Map Quest, Apple Map are the most important.
C. Google Reviews rankings
- Create a Google account
- Check you reviews and ratings
- If your practice’s reviews are 4.5 and over 100 reviews on Google, then you are doing well. If less than this, you will need to focus on this area.
- Other important review sites are Yelp, Facebook and HealthGrades. But start with Google.
D. Google Posts
Posting on Google is a new way to share relevant, fresh content with the people who are searching for you. Use images, videos and even animated GIFs to engage your audience, and add inline links to drive traffic to specific content. This enhanced format allows searchers to hear directly from the primary source — you — and complements existing results from across the web. One important note the Google Posts expire every week. You have to post every week.
E. Google Organic results
Your content on your website is the most important factor on your website. Content refers to your text, headings, sub-headings, main paragraph, images, videos, blogs etc. Your website must contain non-copied, non-plagiarized content.
Step No 4.
Every year, billions of dollars are spent on online advertising. Very broadly, online advertising can be divided into 2 main categories:
- Display advertising
- Search advertising
As a doctor and a medical practice manager, both of these are important for you. You can acquire new patients using both of these mediums.
Display advertising is a type of online advertising that comes in several forms, including banner ads, rich media and more. Unlike text-based ads, display advertising relies on elements such as images, audio and video to communicate an advertising message. For example, if your potential patient is on Facebook and has recently clicked on or watched a video related to Breast Augmentation medical procedure and treatment, ads related this subject can be displayed to the potential patients. This is an example of display ads.
Search advertising is very common. Every time you are on Google and type a search term, lets say “Urgent Care near me”, Google search engine will usually display ads on the top of the web page. In the middle, there is a map, reviews and business listings, and at the bottom, there are organic or free search results. The advertisers pay a fee to display their ads in the top area. If a user clicks on any of the ads, the advertiser pays a fee for each “Click” This is called Pay-Per-Click advertising. For medical practices and doctors, this is very effective and creates excellent ROI. Google PPC ads produce excellent results, however it is complex and requires a professional to manage your campaign.
Step No 5.
Reviews marketing is another emerging area. Online reviews are impacting decisions of your prospect patients dramatically. This is one area that will make your medical clinic shine or impact negatively more than any other strategy. In fact it should not be a marketing strategy, it should be a necessity.
There are 4 ways to acquire positive reviews, and at the same time, minimize negative reviews. So your marketing strategy should be to minimize any negative reviews, and maximize positive reviews.
4 Ways to acquire online reviews
- Using Texting/SMS apps. A text is sent to a patient asking for feedback after a visit.
- Using Email apps. An Email is sent to a patient asking for feedback after a visit.
- Using an iPad in the lobby. A patient is asked to provide feedback right after the visit.
- Using Social Media or your Website. An app can be added to your business page on Facebook or your website, asking patients to provide feedback.
There is no quick and foolproof way do this “quickly”. There are pros and cons for each approach. Google and Yelp understand that businesses are striving to acquire more positive reviews and “bury” negative feedback, their algorithms are aware of SMS requests for reviews – and they are blocking reviews posted using SMS originated requests. Having an iPad in the lobby can cause block of IP Address and so on.
Step No 6.
Social Media Marketing is another very important aspect of your marketing. Your potential and existing are hanging around on Facebook. You have to make it easy for them to do business with you. Here are 5 steps.
5 Steps for Facebook Success for Doctors & Medical Practices
- Create Facebook Business Page for your medical practice.
- Optimize FacebookBusiness Page for your medical practice.
- Add apps to your FacebookBusiness Page for your medical practice. For example, add Contact Us app, add Appointment Requests app, add Promotions app.
- Add content to your FacebookBusiness Page for your medical practice
- Advertise your FacebookBusiness Page for your medical practice on Facebook – There are multiple ways to promote your FacebookBusiness Page for your medical practice. You can hire a professional ( recommended ) or do it yourself. Professionals who are certified advertising professionals will produce better results for you.
Summary for Online Success For Doctors
These 6 steps are proven to add value for hundreds of medical practices. There are many other steps you can take to further improve your strategy. Monthly Email Marketing is another strategy, among many others. Contact us so we can help you and view details GOLD package here.
4 Key Apps For Facebook Marketing For Doctors and Healthcare Medical Practices
These apps have been used by hundreds of successful healthcare providers.
Medical Marketing App No 1. Acquire Positive Reviews From Patients Who Have Already Liked You.
Medical Marketing App No 2. Allow Patients Who Are On Facebook To Request An Appointment
Medical Marketing App No 3. Allow Patients Who Are On Facebook To See Your Promotions and Redeem a Promotion
Medical Marketing App No 4. Use Facebook Posting App For Doctors & Medical Practices
PatientGain.com is a proven healthcare marketing solution, includes apps, websites, SEO, HIPAA compliance and account management.
To learn about How does healthcare marketing work?
To learn about What is the Foundation of Medical SEO (Search Engine Optimization) for Doctors
To learn about How SEO Works For Healthcare Websites, this is a good starting page.
To learn about Short-cut SEO for Medical Practices, this is a good starting page.
To learn about Pricing and cost of SEO services for medical practices, this is a good starting page.
To learn about How Much Do Doctors Spend On Advertising?
To learn about Medical SEO Voice Search Optimization For Doctors (BERT)
To learn about Local Medical SEO For Doctors
To learn about Mobile SEO For Medical Websites
To learn about Zero-Click SEO for Doctors
To learn about Benefits Of Medical SEO Marketing
To learn about Key Items For SEO Evaluation of Medical Websites
To learn about Avoid Risky Plans – Use Proven Medical Marketing Strategies
To learn about Medical Marketing Using Emotionally Compelling Offline Media
To learn about Pre Launch Medical Marketing Checklist for Doctors
To learn about Medical SEO vs. Medical Advertising – Which One Is Better?
To learn about Is Your Medical Website Design “Future Proof”?
To learn about Medical Website Conversion Strategies
To learn about Medical Website Content Marketing Strategy
To learn about How to Acquire New Patients for Your Medical Practice
To learn about Medical Website Applications
To learn about What is Technical Medical SEO?
To learn about How to Attract New Patients to Your Dental Practice
To learn about Dental SEO Examples
To learn about What is Medical Marketing Account Management?
The GOLD service from PatientGain is used by telemedicine physicians, dentists, surgeons, pediatrics, medical spas, pain management, functional medicine, primary & urgent care, cardiologists, podiatrists, addiction medicine, regenerative, wellness, therapy, OBGYN, integrative medicine, dentists, dermatologists, IVF & reproductive, pharma, bio-tech & many other medical practices.