How To Start An Urgent Care Clinic & Center
Simple Proven Strategy For New Owners – This System is Used by the TOP Clinics in USA $599/mon
Costs to Open an Urgent Care are $440K to $1.2M. Invest in Marketing Wisely. Preparing for Urgent Care & Walk-In Clinic Launch
Many new business owners who start or purchase an existing medical clinic have a prevailing misconception that starting an Urgent Care will automatically results in new patients. Many business owners look at the demographics data, competitive landscape – as it exists at the moment, not as would be if 3 new clinics opened within 10 mile radius. Some business owners are still waiting for the “progressive and steady patient increase” to happen after opening, with minimal patient increases until they ran out of funds – very tragic.
As you launch your Urgent Care, your strategy should be to get to 20+ patients a day, as soon as possible. Break even patient count is between 17-23 patients per day for most new Urgent Care centers in USA.
According to Business Insider, Urgent care centers are in good position, even with push to offer pubic healthcare offerings.
Check Our Real Customer Reviews
Starting Your Urgent Care – Key Data Points
By working with hundreds of Urgent Care & Walk-In Clinics all over the USA, PatientGain.com has firmly established the following:
1. As you open your Urgent Care, key objective should be to get to break even patient count as soon as possible, at this point, the financial pressure is off, profitability and financial security follows. Break even patient count is between 17-23 patients per day, depending on location overhead, competition etc.
2. To achieve break even ASAP, the clinic needs to pre-promote before opening. Solid Online strategy and world-class software team focused on Urgent Care is the key differentiator.
3. PatientGain.com’s Quick-Start GOLD ($599), multiple step plan is designed to increase patient count quickly.
For example one of PatientGain.com’s customer opened a new clinic and hired a marketing consultant – After thousands of $$$ were wasted on multiple channels like TV, Radio, Print and local bill-boards, customer realized that majority of the new patients were coming from PatientGain.com’s strategy and software.
We started with PatientGain.com for our Urgent Care about one year ago. We have seen our volume increase from an average of 28 patients per day to 46 patients per day. When asking patients how they have heard about our urgent care we found our newspaper and TV advertising were doing very little to bring in new patients. Patients have overwhelmingly reported they have seen our ads & listings on Google or have simply searched for the Nearest Urgent Care. Patient communication software is also the main difference. PatientGain.com has made certain that our Urgent Care always lists first on Google search which I believe has had a significant impact on our growing business. I’m opening a second Urgent Care and have again hired PatientGain.com.
Example Urgent Care & Walk-In Clinic – Midwest USA
Healthcare Medical Marketing ROI Calculator Example
For example in this case, this healthcare provider has been in business for 4 years, in the Midwest. There are 6 Exam rooms, average patient count is 380 to 400 per month. Desired patient count 700 per month, approx 23 per day. There is a medical director associated with the clinic, but primarily the main providers are 2 Physician Assistants Certified (PA-C) . Owner is a Physician Assistants Certified (PA-C).
Average patient spends $142 per visit., with a LTV of $1800 per patient. There are digital x rays, exam rooms to provide main urgent care services like, minor injuries, sutures, broken bones, pediatric urgent care, physical exams, onsite lab testing, STD tests, travel medicine and DOT physical exams. The clinic is open 7 days a week, 8 am to 8 pm. The owner has been not been with growth. In early 2017, 2 new urgent care centers opened within 7 mile radius. One of the urgent care centers is a part of a large national chain. Due to this increased competition, the owner went on Google and searched for “medical marketing for urgent care”. The GOLD package ($599/mon) from PatientGain.com was implemented. Here are the results : ( your results will vary ).
End of Jun 2017 – launched. 401 patients
Jul 2017 – 453 patients
Aug 2017 – 625 patients
Sep 2017 – 536 patients
Oct 2017 – 709 patients
Nov 2017 – 805 patients
Dec 2017 – 838 patients
Jan 2018 – 1092 patients
An actual dashboard of an Urgent Care with performance of online advertising.
Using PatientGain.com’s marketing techniques, HIPAA compliant software, Facebook apps, Google Advertising apps, Facebook ads, Yahoo & Bing Advertising apps, Organic Content based SEO, Local SEO and unique Key-Word Tracking software, the following ROI was calculated in the 8th month of the launch.
Total spend $12,600.
Total 722 monthly patients – delta – 322 patients per months increased
Revenue increased over 7 months ($45,724 per month) = 320,068
ROI Calculated : 24.40 Times
If calculated using LTV ( Life Time Value ) = $4,057,200 – with 20% patient retention – Urgent Care metrics = $811,440
ROI Calculated : 63.40 Times
Average ROI Calculated : 43.90 Times
Step-By-Step Plan For Urgent Care Online Marketing
Here are some high level steps designed to promote your new clinic
- 90 days prior to opening – Overall marketing plan defined. Finalize website layout – Content creation started.
- 70 days out go live with Website pre announcing your imminent opening – and overall website design – We recommend going live with your website 2 to 3 months BEFORE you open. This could be minimal website with 5 pages or so. This will your with SEO and Google Plus, Facebook and Yelp setup. They all require that there is website setup with an address and a phone number.
- 50 days out – finalize website content and key services – each service should have its own page with proper H1, H2 and unique quality non-plagiarized text
- 50 days out – define SEO & SEM plan, application plan and social media plan
- 40 days out – start implementation of SEM & SEO plan
- 30 days out, list the health insurance companies that you have contracted with
- 30 days out – Email Marketing, Facebook, Search Engine Marketing started / tests run / key online competitors identified
- 20 days out, review with PatientGain.com the dashboard metrics on your new site, see where geographically you are garnering the most interest, evaluate this against your clinics objectives
- 10 days out add the following high impact feature set to your web site – Here is the list of over 20 apps included.
- Day 0 – website has ‘Now Open” prominently displayed, PatientGain.com now performs over 12 unique best practices to start drawing patients into you new clinic. Since we have done this so many times, we have a complete strategy to get you to profitability quickly.
PatientGain.com platform is easy to use and comes ready to be deployed – including a free professional medical website. As your clinic will be targeting potential patients within approx 5 to 10 miles of radius ( larger in rural areas, and smaller in heavily populated downtown type of areas). Your potential patients are online and are using social media, searching on Google, reading Emails and interacting using technology.
6 Steps for Online Success For Clinics
Step No 1.
As medical practitioners, we have to realize that patient behavior is changing. Patients are now looking for medical services online. 88 percent of patients search online for medical services and clinic information. Even 47 percent of existing patients look for additional, related services online on your own website or your competitor’s websites. So you must be present on the Web. 60 percent to 72 percent of patients look for your services, check your online reviews, using a mobile device. Make sure that you have website that is focused on Mobile Marketing for doctors. Here are many examples of great ( and free Mobile, responsive and intelligent) websites. Once your medical practice is online, there are 5 additional important areas to cover.
Step No 2.
In US, approximately, 78 percent of the time, your patients are going to use Google search engine to look for medical related services, reviews and other information. So your first step is have a top notch Google presence. Other places are important also, like Facebook, Yahoo, Bing etc. But start with Google. There are 6 important aspects of Google presence.
- Google Local Listing for your medical practice
- Google Maps, verified listing
- Google Reviews rankings
- Google Posts
- Google Organic results
- Google Paid Search
Each of these should be addressed by your online strategy for your medical practice. Many doctors and practice managers think that having a nice looking website will suffice. Unfortunately it is no longer enough to have a nice website and a Facebook page.
Each of the above mentioned 6 important aspects of Google presence require attention to detail, time and commitment, not to mention financial investment.
Step No 3.
SEO or Search Engine Optimization for Doctors & Medical Practices can be defined in many ways. To provide you with a high level guidance, these 5 areas are most important:
A. Google Local Listing for your medical practice
- Create a Google account
- Add you clinic’s accurate information – Name, address are the most important information – Phone should be checked.
- If your practice’s information is incorrect, you will have correct it
- You may have to claim your listing also.
- In certain cases you may have duplicate listings, these should be resolved.
- There are dozens of other Local directories – They should be checked and updated. But Google, Facebook, Yelp, Yahoo/bing are the most important ones. Start with these.
B. Google Maps, verified listing
- Create a Google account
- Add you clinic’s accurate information in the Maps
- If your practice’s information is in correct, you will have correct it – sometime the Map Pin is Inaccurate
- You may have to claim your Map listing also.
- In certain cases you may have duplicate listings, these should be resolved.
- There are many of other map based directories – They should be checked and updated. But Google, Map Quest, Apple Map are the most important.
C. Google Reviews rankings
- Create a Google account
- Check you reviews and ratings
- If your practice’s reviews are 4.5 and over 100 reviews on Google, then you are doing well. If less than this, you will need to focus on this area.
- Other important review sites are Yelp, Facebook and HealthGrades. But start with Google.
D. Google Posts
Posting on Google is a new way to share relevant, fresh content with the people who are searching for you. Use images, videos and even animated GIFs to engage your audience, and add inline links to drive traffic to specific content. This enhanced format allows searchers to hear directly from the primary source — you — and complements existing results from across the web. One important note the Google Posts expire every week. You have to post every week.
E. Google Organic results
Your content on your website is the most important factor on your website. Content refers to your text, headings, sub-headings, main paragraph, images, videos, blogs etc. Your website must contain non-copied, non-plagiarized content.
Step No 4.
Every year, billions of dollars are spent on online advertising. Very broadly, online advertising can be divided into 2 main categories:
- Display advertising
- Search advertising
As a doctor and a medical practice manager, both of these are important for you. You can acquire new patients using both of these mediums.
Display advertising is a type of online advertising that comes in several forms, including banner ads, rich media and more. Unlike text-based ads, display advertising relies on elements such as images, audio and video to communicate an advertising message. For example, if your potential patient is on Facebook and has recently clicked on or watched a video related to Breast Augmentation medical procedure and treatment, ads related this subject can be displayed to the potential patients. This is an example of display ads.
Search advertising is very common. Every time you are on Google and type a search term, lets say “Urgent Care near me”, Google search engine will usually display ads on the top of the web page. In the middle, there is a map, reviews and business listings, and at the bottom, there are organic or free search results. The advertisers pay a fee to display their ads in the top area. If a user clicks on any of the ads, the advertiser pays a fee for each “Click” This is called Pay-Per-Click advertising. For medical practices and doctors, this is very effective and creates excellent ROI. Google PPC ads produce excellent results, however it is complex and requires a professional to manage your campaign.
Step No 5.
Reviews marketing is another emerging area. Online reviews are impacting decisions of your prospect patients dramatically. This is one area that will make your medical clinic shine or impact negatively more than any other strategy. In fact it should not be a marketing strategy, it should be a necessity.
There are 4 ways to acquire positive reviews, and at the same time, minimize negative reviews. So your marketing strategy should be to minimize any negative reviews, and maximize positive reviews.
4 Ways to acquire online reviews
- Using Texting/SMS apps. A text is sent to a patient asking for feedback after a visit.
- Using Email apps. An Email is sent to a patient asking for feedback after a visit.
- Using an iPad in the lobby. A patient is asked to provide feedback right after the visit.
- Using Social Media or your Website. An app can be added to your business page on Facebook or your website, asking patients to provide feedback.
There is no quick and foolproof way do this “quickly”. There are pros and cons for each approach. Google and Yelp understand that businesses are striving to acquire more positive reviews and “bury” negative feedback, their algorithms are aware of SMS requests for reviews – and they are blocking reviews posted using SMS originated requests. Having an iPad in the lobby can cause block of IP Address and so on.
Step No 6.
Social Media Marketing is another very important aspect of your marketing. Your potential and existing are hanging around on Facebook. You have to make it easy for them to do business with you. Here are 5 steps.
5 Steps for Facebook Success for Doctors & Medical Practices
- Create Facebook Business Page for your medical practice.
- Optimize FacebookBusiness Page for your medical practice.
- Add apps to your FacebookBusiness Page for your medical practice. For example, add Contact Us app, add Appointment Requests app, add Promotions app.
- Add content to your FacebookBusiness Page for your medical practice
- Advertise your FacebookBusiness Page for your medical practice on Facebook – There are multiple ways to promote your FacebookBusiness Page for your medical practice. You can hire a professional ( recommended ) or do it yourself. Professionals who are certified advertising professionals will produce better results for you.
Summary for Online Success For Doctors
These 6 steps are proven to add value for hundreds of medical practices. There are many other steps you can take to further improve your strategy. Monthly Email Marketing is another strategy, among many others. Contact us so we can help you and view details GOLD package here.
We wish you success in opening your Urgent Care & Walk-In Clinic, we have created a way to grade your clinic’s effectiveness online. Let us know if we can help you.
PatientGain.com Provides Additional Benefits for Urgent Care Marketing
Clinic owners, practice managers, dentists and doctors are often forced to work with multiple applications and incompatible online tools to help drive their business. There’s a lot to keep track of: website management, social media, Facebook, online advertising, website lead management, generating positive reviews, minimizing negative reviews, monthly email marketing, call tracking, online payments and much more… it can all be difficult to juggle. What’s more, where do you find the time to manage your efforts online while running your clinic effectively and treating your patients? PatientGain.com data shows you will save 21 to 44 hours a month ( on average 32 hours a month) by using an Integrated Comprehensive Medical Practice Marketing system from PatientGain.com. At $47/hour , your average opportunity cost, this is savings of $1527 per month, or $18K per year, per clinic. This does not include improvement in increased patient acquisition and patient referrals and patient engagement.
PatientGain.com is a certified premier google partner for healthcare.
To learn about Website Strategies and Website Examples for Doctors & Medical Clinics, please go here.
To learn about Search Engine Optimization for Doctors & Medical Clinics, please go here.
To learn about Pay Per Click PPC Advertising for Doctors & Medical Clinics, please go here.
To learn about Content Marketing Strategies for Doctors & Medical Clinics, please go here.
To learn about GOLD Package Marketing for Doctors & Medical Clinics, please go here.
PatientGain.com is a proven medical marketing solution, includes apps, websites, SEO, HIPAA compliance and account management.
To learn about What is the Foundation of Medical SEO (Search Engine Optimization) for Doctors
To learn about How SEO Works For Doctors Websites, this is a good starting page.
To learn about Short-cut SEO for Medical Practices, this is a good starting page.
To learn about Pricing and cost of SEO services for medical practices, this is a good starting page.
To learn about How Much Do Doctors Spend On Advertising?
To learn about Medical SEO Voice Search Optimization For Doctors (BERT)
To learn about Local Medical SEO For Doctors
To learn about Mobile SEO For Medical Websites
To learn about Zero-Click SEO for Doctors & Medical Practices
To learn about Benefits Of Medical SEO Marketing
To learn about Key Items For SEO Evaluation of Medical Websites
To learn about Avoid Risky Plans – Use Proven Medical Marketing Strategies
To learn about Medical Marketing Using Emotionally Compelling Offline Media
To learn about Pre Launch Medical Marketing Checklist for Doctors
To learn about Medical SEO vs. Medical Advertising – Which One Is Better?
To learn about Is Your Medical Website Design “Future Proof”?